Sunday, August 4, 2013

The Family Vac-A to Yellowstone

Well people it's a miracle! We made it through Yellowstone with only a few disasters and NO fights between the family. Which if you know me this is a BIG deal because I always manage to pick fights with my siblings.

So here's the scoop. My dad rented a cabin in Island Park, ID that could hold my 5 sibs, our spouses, 2 nephews, and my Aunt, Uncle and cousin Kenzie. Aka a lot of people who are controlling in one cabin in the middle of nowhere... now are you impressed we didn't fight?

The cabin was about a 45 minute drive from West Yellowstone and just West of Island Park Reservoir. It was beautiful! If it weren't for the fact that I have no job skills that would allow me to live in the more rural parts of Idaho or Utah I would love to live out in a place like that. Alas, I will have to settle for trying to make a lots of money and just owning a second home or cabin there instead (ha). While the cabin did have close-ish neighbors they weren't close enough to make you feel crowded or that you had to be concerned for your privacy. They were far enough off that you felt like you were alone... I love that feeling. Yes, I am a little introverted.

Josh and I spent our time split between Yellowstone and the more local attractions of Island Park. We arrived late Monday after my grandmother's funeral. Tuesday we went to Old Faithful, a nap on the side of the road, the Painted Pots, and Steamboat. Wednesday we took the inflatable Kayaks down the river then went over to Island Park Reservoir. Thursday I went with my mom to the E.R. (no worries she's fine, it was just a precaution since we were so far away from home), then  to the Wolf & Grizzly Bear Preservation thingy, and spent the afternoon in West Yellowstone, and then Drove out to Yellowstone Lake to watch the sun set and clouds come in. Friday Josh and I packed up and headed home taking the LONG way through Yellowstone and into the Teton National Park and down through Wyoming and home arriving promptly at 2 am after driving (with small breaks) for over 15 hours.

Now here's the good part. The pictures. I tried to only pick the best ones... but it was still hard to narrow it down. Hope you enjoy!

Best part of the cabin! Watching the lightning storms from the hot tub in the chilly evenings.


View from the cabin. Nice isn't it.

Waiting "patiently" for Old Faithful ;)

Awe-inspiring eruption of Old Faithful

We hiked up to the View Point for Old Faithful and had a spectacular view as we awaited Old Faithful from the top of the hill on the other side. 

Old Faithful from the View Point.

Castle gyeser from the same view point. We were lucky to see both going off at the same time.

Steam from the painted pots.

Steamboat Geyser. Funny story. Josh was being quite sentimental about this one, saying how he'd love to see it erupt and wanted to wait all night just for the chance to see it. It was being quite loud, burping up a lot of water and what not, well according to Yellowstone's FB page it erupted shortly after we left... opps. ;) by maybe at the most 20 minutes after. Josh is mad. For the record. This geyser is very unpredictable. It can go anywhere from 4 days to 50 years between eruptions.


Day two. Floating down the river with my sistahs.

This was my VERY first time "kayaking" and while we went down the tamest part of the river... like 0 rapids I was still glad Josh was steering cause I tend to just go in circles.

Potty break before we got started ;) Josh was disgusted with our bathroom habits.

Before :) 

So as it turns out my sisters are just as good as I am at steering these things... aka they sure went in A LOT of circles in the beginning ;)

It was a nice and leisurely ride. The water was quite slow most of the way. Plenty of time to bump into each other and take some pictures.

The views from the river were breathtaking!

The parents "sunning" while enjoying the afternoon at Island Park Reservoir.

On the river spotted these guys taking a break from fishing.

Meanwhile at the wildlife reserve... this guy has brain damage.

Hunting food. Two big Grizzlies from Alaska were brought to the reserve as orphaned cubs.

Even Wolfs poop

Sistahs enjoying the water... and Matt ;)

The Nephews didn't quite enjoy the water as much as the rest of us did... or at least they didn't enjoy the Kayak

Auggie walkin on water. With the help of Josh of course.


I have a few more pictures I want to post of the trip. But I think I'll put them in a different post as this one has become quite long. But I hope you enjoyed the trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment