Saturday, August 10, 2013

Doin' the IM Thang



Well I am both excited and a little sick to my stomach. I just registered for the Ironman Coeur d' Alene on June 29th, 2014. AAAAAHHHHHHH!!! Ha ha ha ha my feelings are sooo mixed right now. I have a lot to plan and A LOT of work to plan. It should be exciting and fun all at the same time.

IM athletes typically train somewhere between 12 (newbies - goal is to finish) to 20 (more serious contenders) a week. This is going to become a part time job for me. I would love to be a serious contender and look forward to the opportunity to test my body and see what exactly it is capable of achieving. I know its tough, but how tough? It will also be a test of mental strength, will and determination. How committed am I?

I spent some time looking at the race results from last year and that did intimidate me quite a bit. The only half race I've done was 6:06 and so I could anticipate, with the same type and amount of training to do between 12:30 - 14 hrs for a full. However, I'd really love to complete the IM in 11 ish hours. So that will take a great deal more dedication on my part... which will be the hardest part. Staying dedicated for soooooo long.

For the record last years top male was 8:16 and top female was 9:15... sigh. Ha ha I'd really have to work hard to break 11 so I can't imagine coming in at 9:15.

Well wish me luck! I'm sure I will do a great job.... ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment